Mahatma Gandhi Central Library
Mahatma Gandhi Central Library is specially crafted to inspire an introspective learning experience. With large, open spaces, niches for collaborative work, creatively designed work platforms and an infusion of natural and architectural aesthetics, the centre will unfold new learning paths for everyone—student, scholar, researcher, teacher, visitor or just a curious mind. It is housed in the first floor of Dr. Mahalingam Vigyan Bhavan and covers an area of 18000 square feet. The compilation in the library is extensive owning 62832 titles and 111832 volumes and has a subscription to 245 print journals, 31500 online international journals and 49 magazines for scholarly communication. Central library follows Open access system and the patrons can directly use the needed books and journals in the reading halls for reference and circulation.
SERVICES PROVIDED BY MGCL● Web OPAC (Online Public Access Catalogue) for search of books and other academic resources etc.,
● Online access to international E- Resources - IEEE, Springer, ASCE, ASME, J-Gate, Elsevier and EBSCO BSE and Textile Technology Complete, CMIE- Prowess IQ are subscribed.
● Our library is an institutional member of DELNET for sharing the resources
● On-site use of Text books, Reference books, Print journals and magazines are available at Infinity Loop.
● Digital library with high performance computer network is implemented at Nucleus Hallway
● Board Room & A.Muse Thought Lab can be availed through KCT Smart Apps
● A.MUSE Thought Lab is left open for students to brainstorm or share an intellectual thoughts
● Book Issue at INFINITY LOOP and return of borrowed books could be made at the NODE desk.
● The MESH interconnects the network of people from different streams under one roof with inside outside magazine look.
In addition to the well-stocked and fully automated central library, each department of KCT has its own departmental library to facilitate easy access to the faculty.
Biometric (finger print) authentication is the key to access/borrow the library items. Open access system is being followed in the library. Users can choose to borrow the book / periodical from the infinity loop and enter their roll no. before submit the circulation staff. Email confirmation of the transaction (all issues, renewal and returns) can be send to the individuals registered/official Email ID.
DURATION OF LOAN
Books are issued for a period of 14 days for students and one semester for teaching staff and one month for non¬teaching staff. A borrowed book may be renewed for one more period (14 days), if no other user has reserved the same. Also Reference Books, Current Journals and Magazines are issued on overnight basis. Advanced reminder and overdue email notification will have received by all members those who borrowed items in MGCL.
If a borrowed items wish to extend by the staff / students visit www.library.kct.ac.in and enter the user ID and password to login for renewal.
If a borrowed book is not returned / renewed within the due date, an overdue charge of Rs.2 per day will be levied.
LOSS OF BOOKS
If a borrowed book is lost or damaged, the borrower is required to replace the same edition or latest edition of the same book. If it is not done, an amount equivalent to double the cost of the book for those purchased within 8 years or triple the cost of the book if it is purchased beyond 8 years has to be remitted.
This section has Reference books, Dictionaries, Encyclopedias, Directories, Exam Guides, Standards, Manuals, Handbooks, Proceedings, high-priced books and collection reference purpose.
This section caters to the needs of students who avail the post-matric scholarship offered by the Government of India. Presently 2,300 books are available under this category. The eligible students can avail six books at a time. They are issued for a period of one semester and should be returned by the end of the semester.
DIGITAL LIBRARY AND ONLINE ACCESS
Desktop systems are installed in the Digital Library section with Internet access facility also provision for owned laptop. Users can access this section for Educational, Research and Development purpose. Non-book materials such as CDs, DVDs and cassettes acquired / supplied along with the text / reference books / magazines are also kept in this section.
Web OPAC (www.library.kct.ac.in)● Individual Remote login (User name & Password)
● Dashboard - Easy and quick access of transaction, fine and other important links
● Simple and Advanced search methods
● Quick link for online subscribed journal package access
● Question Bank - Previous Year Question papers download
● Transaction history – List export facility
● Overdue details, New Arrivals list & Table of content view
● Book review add & view facility
"National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning" is a joint initiative of the IITs and IISc funded by MHRD, Govt. of India. Contents for the web and video courses were based on the model curriculum suggested by All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) and the syllabi of major affiliating Universities in India. NPTEL offer online courses and certification in various topics. Presently 426 web and 518 video course contents are available in our local server.
● IEEE Journals
● Elsevier (Science Direct)
EBSCO BUSINESS DATABASE
EBSCO’s Business Source Elite Database provides full text access to scholarly business, management and economic journals. It covers all the topics related to management. It contains 1072 e-journals and business magazines; substantial company profiles from Data Monitor are also included in the database. Remote access facility is enabled for all e resources via idp.kct.ac.in link.
DELNET provides online access to abstracts of Journals, Book catalogues and Inter-Library Loan facility for exchange of books that are not available in a library.
MGCL holds institutional membership in the following bodies
● DELNET (Developing Library Network), New Delhi
● National Digital Library https://ndl.iitkgp.ac.in/ (User name: official email id)
MGCL has implemented the digital archive for the benefit of faculty and students.
Reprographic facility is available.